1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup white sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 lemons, juiced
confectioners sugar (optional)
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2) In a medium bowl, blend together the softened butter, 2 cups flour, and 1/2 cup sugar. Press into bottom of a lightly greased 9 x 13 inch pan.
3) Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until firm and golden. In another bowl whisk together the remaining 1 1/2 cups sugar and 1/4 cup flour. Then, whisk in the eggs and lemon juice. Pour over the baked crust.
4) Bake for an additional 20 minutes. The bars will firm up as they cool.
5) After the pan has cooled cut into 2 inch squares and dust with confectioner’s sugar (optional)
*For a festive tray, make another batch using limes instead of lemons and add a few drops of green food coloring to give a very pale green. After both pans have cooled cut into uniform 2 inch squares and arrange in a checkerboard fashion.