Vanilla cupcakes are the perfect base for a countless fillings and frosting. There are so many combinations that you can make with a vanilla base that it is essential for any baker to have the perfect base cupcake recipe. This is my personal favorite vanilla cupcake.
*Warning: My food is delicious, but I pretty much suck at decorating my cupcakes and cakes! You have been warned!
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup sugar
6 Tbs (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 whole egg plus 1 egg white, at room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk
1) Preheat an oven to 350°F. Line a standard 12-cup muffin pan with paper or foil liners.
2) In one bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
3) In another large bowl beat together the sugar and butter on medium-high speed using an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce speed to low and add the egg and the egg white one at a time, beat well, then beat in the vanilla. Add the flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with the milk in 2 additions, beating until just combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Increase the speed to medium-high and beat just until no traces of flour remain but do not over beat; about 30 seconds.
4) Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups, filling each about 2/3 to 3/4 full. Bake until the cupcakes are lightly golden on top and a toothpick comes out clean, about 18-20 minutes.
5) Remove the pan from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Then transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack and let them cool completely, about a hour.
6) Frost the cupcakes and enjoy.
*Personal Tip: It is important to follow the directions because missing any steps or going out of order can massively screw your cupcakes up!
I have yet to find a frosting whether butter or cream cheese based that I love enough to share with anyone. If you have any awesome but not too sweet recipes I’m open for suggestions!