2 cups flour
2 cups packed dark brown sugar
1 cup butter, melted
1 cup chopped pecans
3 cups peeled, chopped Granny Smith Apples, the greener the better
2 eggs, slightly beaten
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2) Place pecans in ungreased, shallow pan. Bake uncovered for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown
3) Grease 13×9 inch pan with shortening, lightly flour. (Can use baking spray instead.)
4) In a large bowl stir together the brown sugar, melted butter, eggs and vanilla. Than stir in flour, baking powder, and salt until well incorporated. Finally add in the apple and the toasted pecans. Spread in an even layer in the pan.
5) Bake 35 to 45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
6) Cool for at least an hour. Cut and serve.
* You want to make sure that the apples are extra sour otherwise they will not taste as good. I actually had a friend mistake them for banana bread because the apples I used were not as sour.